- Leliana: "The Game is one thing—we go back and forth between nobles, and the authorities turn a blind eye. It is... amusement. But these papers... if the seals were Orlesian military, then bringing them to Ferelden is treason. Marjolaine, there is no blind eye for treason. They hang you in the street."
- Marjolaine: "My poor pretty thing. Lost in a strange place."
- — Leliana and Marjolaine
Treason is a serious crime against a sovereign or the realm or kingdom as a whole, including rebellion, regicide, oathbreaking, and espionage. The punishment for treason is death, usually by public execution. If expedient, a traitor may instead be spared in exchange of hostages or by being forced to join the Grey Wardens.
Like oathbreaking, the nature of treason is not an absolute one and is subject to political machinations. It can often depend on whether said treason is successful. While a defeated rebel will be condemned and executed as a traitor, a victorious one will be in power and will merely receive the epithet usurper.
Major cases and accusations of treason
- Warden-Commander Sophia Dryden violated the Grey Wardens' philosophy of remaining politically neutral in 7:05 Storm when she became involved in an attempted coup d'état against King Arland Theirin. The result was fighting between the Grey Wardens and the royal army, the loss of Commander Sophia and her command at Soldier's Peak, and King Arland banishing the Order from Ferelden.
- Marjolaine committed treason against the Orlesian Empire by selling sensitive military documents to other nations. She later framed her lover Leliana along with her friends Tug and Sketch for the deed.
- Teyrn Loghain Mac Tir is put on trial by Arl Eamon Guerrin after losing the Landsmeet for the regicide of his son-in-law King Cailan I Theirin during the Battle of Ostagar, declaring himself Regent and essentially igniting the Fereldan Civil War all so he could take drastic measures to secure Ferelden, which included selling elves into slavery to fund his war against the Bannorn and sending a blood mage to assassinate the Arl of Redcliffe. When all his crimes are laid bare, Loghain is summarily executed by Aedan Cousland.
- Grand Duke Gaspard de Chalons, disillusioned with his cousin Empress Celene I Valmont's reign, decides to move against her and attempted to claim the throne for himself, sparking a civil war known as the "War of the Lions". Gaspard and those who supported him were ultimately defeated at the Winter Palace in Halamshiral. Gaspard himself is later executed for treason against Celene.
- "As Warden-Commander of Ferelden and Arl of Amaranthine, I hereby charge you Bann Esmerelle, Lady Liza Packton, Lady Morag, Lord Guy, and Ser Timothy with conspiracy to commit treason, conspiracy to commit sedition and conspiracy to commit murder against the duly appointed liege lord of Amaranthine. Arrive at Vigil's Keep within the fortnight or be branded an enemy of the Wardens."
- ―Warden-Commander Aedan Cousland