- "Lords and ladies of the court, I hereby introduce His Royal Majesty, King Alistair of House Theirin, First of His Name, Lord of the Landsmeet, Defender of the Chantry, and Protector of the Realm."
―Grand Cleric Elemena
The King of Ferelden (feminine equivalent being Queen of Ferelden) is the most powerful noble and ruler of Ferelden.
Although Denerim was originally the official "teyrnir of the King", it has since been changed to a separate noble's arling, as the king's domain is all of Ferelden. However, even the monarch's power must derive from support throughout the land. The sight of a King asking for, and working to win the support of, "lesser" nobles is a source of constant wonder to foreign ambassadors.
The King or Queen is formally addressed by his subjects as "Your Majesty" and in official events referred to employing the following structure: King/Queen "_________" of House "_________" the "ordinal number" of His/Her Name, Lord/Lady of the Landsmeet, Defender of the Chantry and Protector of the Realm.
King and Queens
- Calenhad I Theirin — first King of Ferelden
- Mairyn — Queen to Calenhad Theirin
- Weylan I Theirin — son of Calenhad and Mairyn
- Fionne I Theirin — ascended to the throne in 6:18 Steel
- Lewys I Mavbrae — ascended the throne sometime after 6:50 Steel
- Arland I Theirin — ascended to the throne in 7:5 Storm
- Vanedrin I Theirin
- Brandel I Theirin — known as "Brandel the Defeated".
- Meghren I Dufayel — the Orlesian King of Ferelden during the last years of the Orlesian occupation
- Maric I Theirin — ascended to the throne in 9:02 Dragon
- Rowan Guerrin — Queen to Maric Theirin, mother of Cailan Theirin
- Cailan I Theirin — son of King Maric and Queen Rowan, married to Anora
- Anora Mac Tir — Queen to Cailan Theirin and Alistair
- Alistair I Theirin — bastard son of King Maric and half-brother of King Cailan, married to Anora
Rivals and claimants
- Sophia Dryden — cousin of Arland and Warden-Commander of Ferelden
- Moira I Theirin — daughter of Brandel and mother of Maric. Known as the "Rebel Queen".